Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Mar 27 12:18:06 PST 2006
Kyle Hanson wrote:

>Thanks for all the info...  I'm a little nervous about starting over from
>scratch as I've never installed and configured slony, it was done by our
>previous DBA and I have to pick up the broken pieces.
>
>How much work is it to start from scratch, my largest concern is
>affecting(breaking) our production postgres database?

You could submit one or two UNINSTALL NODE scripts, which would drop out
replication configuration, cleaning things out, and then rebuild the nodes.

The notable risk is that the C/SPI trigger functions disappear out from
under things; you may need to recycle connections to the DB, otherwise
updates to the replicated tables will all start failing.  This is a well
known issue; if you restart the DB, that'll certainly "clear things up,"
forcing apps to start up new connections.

It's not *all* that scary to drop and rebuild replication.

You probably want to grab a dump of the table sl_table/sl_sequence;
that'll give a good idea as to what objects were being replicated.  With
only two nodes, that's the main complexity that arises...