Yuan HOng hongyuan1306
Fri Mar 3 07:07:15 PST 2006
I have a database on a Postgres 7.4 server with slony-1.0.5
replication enabled. Now I want to the content of the database to
another db-server with Postgresql 8.1 and no slony. I just want to
move the data, not the replication information, i.e. without the slony
schema.

There doesn't seem to be an straigtforward to do this. I tried backup
only my data schema, then restore it on the 8.1 server. But since the
tables in data schema all have slony triggers, the restore doesn't
succeed.

When I backup the whole database including the slony schema, the
restore complains that the slony shared libraries are not found.

So I tried to install slony-1.1.5 on the 8.1 server and then restore
the database backup. Now I get the error during restore:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  could not
find function "_Slony_I_terminateNodeConnections" in file
"/usr/lib/postgresql/8.1/lib/slony1_funcs.so"

It seems that the 1.1.5 library is not downward compatible with 1.0.5 schema.

Can someone kindly points out how to achieve the data migration? I
think one solution is to drop the replication on the source 7.4
database, and then do the backup. But since it is a production
database, I can't do that. Any other ideas?

Best Regards,

--
Hong Yuan

?????????