Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Wed Mar 1 11:14:43 PST 2006
Brad Nicholson wrote:

>Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>You use 1 and 2.  The provider/reciever are for the sets, not the
>nodes.  The procedure that you'd want to follow is
>
>1)Create set 999 on node1
>2)Subscribe set 999 to node 2 (provider is node1, receiever is node 2)
>3)Merge set 999 into set 1.  This will put the table from set 999 into
>set 1, and set 999 will be gone.
>
>If you were to use node 3 and 4, I beleive the merge set would fail.  If
>memory serves me, the two sets have to have the same providers and
>recievers across all nodes before you can merge them.

It would actually break long before that.

Suppose we have cluster MINE with hosts h1 and h2, with databases on
port 5432, and each uses database my_slony_db...

Creating node 1 establishes namespace _MINE on the database on h1.
Creating node 2 establishes namespace _MINE on the database on h2.

TRYING to create node 3 on h1 would TRY to create namespace _MINE again,
which would fail, because it's already there.  Ergo, there can be no
node #3.  Ditto for trying to have node4 on h2.

So no, you don't create extra nodes for this.

Remember, everyone, a node is a database participating in replication.
Adding in additional sets does nothing to change that essential fact...