Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Fri Jun 23 07:39:08 PDT 2006
priyanka shastri wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am just a beginner in Slony as well as in Postgres. And need your
> help very much.
>
> I have created 2 databases on 2 diff machines and set the replication
> process using slony 1 successfully( as mentioned on the slony
> website).
>
> what i was tried is the replication off MASTER DB having only ONE TABLE.
> but the real scenarion is offcourse have MULTIPLE TABLES, VIEWS,
> OBJECTS etc in a DB in which i want some of the tables and views &
> other objects shold be replicated on to the slave DB and some will
> not.
>
> How can i perform the above scenarion ???

Well, you'll set up one (possibly more) replication set, and, for each
table you want to replicate, submit SET ADD TABLE, and for each sequence
you want to replicate, submit SET ADD SEQUENCE.

The only sorts of objects that can be replicated are tables and
sequences; views are just rewrites of SELECT, so there is no need to
replicate a view...
> also pls tell me..is the Slony 1 is good solution for LARGE DATABASES.
> LARGE DB MEANS..4GB around or more.

People are commonly using Slony-I for databases a fair bit larger than 4GB.

We commonly have databases 40GB in size, or more.  In a Slony-I context,
the size at which things are liable to get "challenging" is as size
grows to hundreds of gigabytes.