Jan Wieck JanWieck
Tue Jan 31 22:16:11 PST 2006
On 1/31/2006 9:25 PM, Ujwal S. Setlur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My application generally connects to the database
> using a specific user. This user does not have view
> permissions on the slony schema. However, my
> application needs to look at some slony information to
> make some decisions. I also do not want the
> application to use the postgres super user account.
>
> Is it OK to give the application user "read only"
> privs on the slony schema? I can't imagine that would
> be a problem, but I thought I would ask.

I don't see any problem with giving your application read permission on
certain slony specific tables.

That said, slony does not change the ownership (origin) of sets by
itself. Some mechanism you have setup yourself explicitly instructs
slony to switchover or failover. Can't you incorporate telling your
application where the current origin is into that process? I have done
that in my test cases usually with replacing the pgpool config file
during switchover or failover.

Jan