Andrew Sullivan ajs
Mon Jan 9 13:06:53 PST 2006
On Sat, Jan 07, 2006 at 02:20:53PM +0000, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:
> I need to add a single sequence to an existing replicated set (slony
> 1.1.0 and Postgres 7.4.6)
>
> I remember that it is not advised to have a set with a single sequence
> (although I can't remember why).

Because it won't work.  It's some sort of breakage.  I don't recall
whether it's been fixed -- IIRC it should be fixable, but I suspect
nobody has cared enough to do it.

> 1) Create temp set. Add sequence to it. Subscribe all slaves to it.
> Merge with existing set.

This will work, except that you should create a dummy table as well.
Then merge the sets, and then use SET DROP TABLE to drop the dummy
table.  It's a kludgey workaround, but it does work around without
having to rebuild the whole replica from nothing.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
This work was visionary and imaginative, and goes to show that visionary
and imaginative work need not end up well.
		--Dennis Ritchie