Hannu Krosing hannu
Fri Feb 24 10:01:51 PST 2006
?hel kenal p?eval, R, 2006-02-24 kell 11:30, kirjutas Jan Wieck:
> On 2/23/2006 4:00 AM, Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > I was implying that it was a timing problem. In the code we create the
> > pg_class entry and then populate pg_attribute from memory. We need to be
> > careful about where we invoke a trigger on pg_class to make sure all it's
> > ramifications are visible -- ie, that we've issued
> > CommandCounterIncrement().
>
> Plus having created things like the PK index for the table and other
> constraints.
>
> Which leads to yet another problem. What does Slony do if the admin
> creates a table without a primary or even without any possile candidate
> key? Don't replicate the table? Abort the CREATE TABLE?

Actually I would like slony to be able to replicate PK-less tables in
"INSERT ONLY"-mode, that is disable updates and deletes, but log inserts
and replay these on slave. Often there is no good way to put a
(candidate) primary key on some log/archive tables, but they would be
still needed on the datawarehouse side.

> And how exactly do I tell Slony (after it got all that super smart to
> master DDL all by itself) that I want a different set of indexes on
> "this particular replica", because that's my search engine server?

I guess that there are two "modes" in which slony is used -

a) "hot standby" - i.e replicate everything automatically (anyway, this
is probably better served by WAL-shipping)

b) "data warehouse" - no automation needed, or do minimal automation,
like shipping only table + primary key. usually people at DW side will
tell you (the admin) when they miss something :)