Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Fri Apr 21 10:19:23 PDT 2006
"David Parker" <dparker at tazznetworks.com> writes:
> 1.1.5-RC2
>
> ?
>
> I have a single node in which I have a replication environment
> installed, and a replication set defined, but with no subscribers to
> the node. As I add data, the sl_log_1 table keeps getting larger. I
> see messages in the slon log that the cleanup thread is running, but
> it is not deleting from the log table.
>
> ?
>
> Trying to track this down, I'm extracting sql statements from the
> cleanup thread code to try running against the database, but I can't
> seem to get the syntax correct for a SELECT statement with "where
> log_xid = x" - I get errors about not being able to cast xid to
> integer, etc. - I'm looking in the event table to get these xids,
> but I clearly need to cast them somehow to work in the query, and I
> can't figure out how to do this. This is probably a generic postgres
> usage question, but I'm trying to track down the problem mentioned
> above, so any hints would be appreciated.

I put a patch into 1.2 that addresses this, and it does so by purging
from sl_event.

http://gborg.postgresql.org/pipermail/slony1-commit/2006-March/000988.html

A reasonable thing to do, in effect, is to delete all of the events
except for the very last one.

We leave the last one in so that if no SYNCs run for a while, you
haven't lost the ability to start up subscriptions.  (Mumble, mumble,
if things are that broken, it's not time to start subscribing :-).)
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>