Jim Archer jim
Sat Sep 10 23:18:18 PDT 2005
cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info said:

> The problem is that Slony-I can't start until that old transaction that
> may predate the installation of Slony-I components completes.
>
> If you peek in at pg_locks and/or pg_stat_activity, you'll presumably see
> that some transaction is under way (namely #1177475, though that number
> may not be easy to see).
>
> Kill that connection and the floodgates will open :-).

I just spent some time adding a fourth node to my test cluster.  I had
this problem, I noticed that the pid and txid of the offending transaction
kept changing.  Finally, I killed all 4 slon daemons, restarted postgres
on the new node, restarted the slons and the problem went away.

Are these transactions being caused by the other slons that service the
other nodes?  I had shutdown the one that serviced the new node many
times, and restarted postgres many times, but it was not until I killed
all the slons that I was able to get past this.

Jim