Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Tue Sep 6 21:53:56 PDT 2005
Sebastian K?hner wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Many thanks. Now my script worked.
>
>This was my solution:
>
>TZ='America/Argentina/Mendoza'
>export TZ
>PGTZ='America/Argentina/Mendoza'
>export PGTZ
>
>and then: ./cluster_setup.sh
>
>Without errors. So it wasn't necesary to put them to GMT. I put it into
>/etc/profile so I think they will be initialized on any startup...

That may work with Red Hat Linux; I'm not sure that TZ value would
necessarily work everywhere.

We have enough diversity of server locations in our distributed
environment that GMT/UTC has proven to be our best choice, not just for
Slony-I, but for pretty well all processing, because:

a) There are no Daylight Savings Time issues, where time shifts, as if
by magic, by an hour, every so often;
b) Our systems report time to outside clients in UTC;
c) We don't get confused when logging onto an internal host that is in
the "wrong" timezone.

If you only have a few servers, in one spot, it may be no big deal.
With many servers in many places, it's quite a big deal...