Andrew Sullivan ajs
Wed Oct 26 15:01:15 PDT 2005
On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 10:14:55PM +1000, Philip Yarra wrote:
> Perhaps we mean different things by "corner case". I mean this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corner_case
>
> As in, something we don't reasonably expect people to try to do. I think
> creating table-names in the same DB in the same schema that are
> differentiated only by the case of the name is unreasonable.

Well, I fear you're wrong, then.  The SQL standard permits it, so we
have to allow for it.  I agree it'd be a _dumb_ idea, but that
doesn't mean that someone wouldn't create an archive table of
account named "ACCOUNT".

> > Right.  It appears to me that this is a documentation issue.
>
> What do you plan to put in the documentation? "Warning: table-names may not be
> recognised using the same names as you used in your SQL script to create
> them."

I asked yesterday for some suggested text, since you're the one who
had the problem. ;-)  Remember, I was here when the system was
designed; so it seems natural to me that this is one of the things
you need to watch out for.  How did it surprise you?  What were you
doing?  What part of the docs were you looking at when you tried to
figure out what was going on?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
		--George Orwell