Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Oct 24 21:28:07 PDT 2005
"Niblett, David A" <niblettda at gru.com> writes:
> Interesting concept, and that would be accurate.  The tables
> do have large rows.  For example, the body of the Email could
> be a multi-meg attachment.  Basically we are storing Email, and
> we allow up to 10M attachments.
>
> I should have mentioned that we are using PostgreSQL 8.0.3.

Over time, my "wild guesses" get better ;-)

> Just to be clear, I should change SLON_DATA_FETCH_SIZE = 1
> and leave SLON_COMMANDS_PER_LINE = 10 because I'm using >= 7.4
> correct?

That would be what I'd suggest as a "first cut" that should help.

> Second question is, if I'm going to go ahead and hack on the
> code some, I figure I will go to 1.1.2.  Anything that I
> should worry about for the upgrade?  Will I need to re-replicate
> everything?  I suppose I should just go read the upgrade
> notes, but I'm looking for those "oh yeah, by the way ...."
> items.

Look at <http://slony.info/>; it talks about how to do the upgrade.

Upgrading

Beginning with version 1.0.5 the slon replication engine refuses to
work against any database that does not have the stored procedures for
the same version loaded or where the shared object containing the C
language support functions and the log trigger does not match the
version number.

This means that the Slony installation on all nodes in a cluster must
be upgraded at once.

The proper upgrade procedure is this:

   1. Stop the slon replication engine on all nodes.
   2. Install the new Slony version on all nodes.
   3. Execute a slonik script containing the command
    update functions (id = x);
      for every node in the cluster.
   4. Start all slon replication engines.

No need to re-replicate everything...