Andrew Sullivan ajs
Wed Oct 5 16:19:33 PDT 2005
On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 07:39:44PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> 1.  Is the Afilias QA team on this list?  If not, which lists are they
> on?  We all need to get in better touch here.

Not as far as I know; but to be more pointed, Afilias _does not_ do
the QA of these releases before they happen.  The Afilias QA folks do
testing of proposed releases to production systems for Afilias
purposes, but they don't test this software before it's released.
(This state of affairs is admittedly partly because, when I was
supervising Chris[1], I could alter his job description to include
maintenance of Slony-I; but it's been well over a year since I had
any supervisory duties of the QA folks, so I couldn't assign them the
work.  But in truth, the QA folks at Afilias are already
overcommitted.)  Slony-I was always intended to be a community
project: Afilias seeded it, but it's not an Afilias project released
to the community, and was never intended to be.

> 2.  What exactly is the release process, and where is a broad, obvious
> place to post it?

It sounds like one needs to be made.  Volunteers?

> 3.  What regression tests are running, and how do we know they've
> passed on all platforms?  I know this is a tough thing even just in a
> combinatorial sense, but it's one we have to do.

My suspicion is that this will fall out of (2).  In particular, I
don't think that there are currently assurances that people have run
the tests prior to release.  While on the one hand, that seems like a
pretty bad thing, on the other hand, it's more or less how PostgreSQL
itself was released for ages.  That said. . .

> 4.  The subject of a "build farm" has come up several times in
> different venues.  Can we get this thing spec'ed and put together in
> time for 1.2?  What design pieces are still missing?

. . .this'd no doubt help.  But I don't know the answer to your
questions.

[1] For those who are curious, I've been assigned to a new department
at Afilias, so I'm not part of the database operations group there
any more.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
It is above all style through which power defers to reason.
		--J. Robert Oppenheimer