Andrew Sullivan ajs
Wed Nov 2 13:45:26 PST 2005
On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 08:21:49AM -0500, Jan Wieck wrote:

> I just wonder what the value in that MOVE SET "on corruption" is. We can

There isn't one, which is the point.  If the database is really
corrupted, you're hosed.  You _can_ do a MOVE SET though for maybe 5
databases where you have more-strict SLAs than the rest of them, when
you can tell the hardware is failing.  Imagine you have a 2-disk RAID that
just lost one disk.  5 of the databases have a lot of traffic, while
the other 45 are basically read-only back ends for blogs.  Move the
5: it's safer, and in the worst case (the other disk fails), you have
to do failover for the node, but you won't have lost much.  There are
several scenarios I can imagine like this.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
                --Brad Holland