Jan Wieck JanWieck
Thu May 26 15:36:15 PDT 2005
On 5/26/2005 10:24 AM, Darrell A. Sullivan, II wrote:

> I have read that Slony requires the clock on the master and server to be
> synchronized. Can someone tell me why this is and what the consequences are
> if they are out of synch? Also, to what level of granularity must they be in
> Synch? In my experience the time keeping function on PCs is pretty
> miserable. I would not want to have to trust the security of my data to such
> innacurate clocks.

It is desirable but not required by any means. Slony-I will work as good
with clocks that are a couple days apart as it would with clocks that
are ntp synced in a LAN.

Some of the logging and status information, like the view that tells how
far behind your replicas are, use timestamps generated on different
servers for computation. That information will become a little hard to
read if the clocks differ significantly. That's all.

Jan