Darrell A. Sullivan, II darrell
Thu May 26 15:24:34 PDT 2005
Hello,

I am considering a few different open source databases and one of my big
requirements is the ability to replicate my database for backup purposes.

My major goal is not high availability. If the database becomes unavailable
for several hours it will not be a tragedy. What I do want to make sure of
is that all of my data updates are replicated to another server in a secured
location a thousand miles from the main server for disaster recovery
purposes.

It appears that Slony is the proposed solution for this on PostgreSQL.

I have read that Slony requires the clock on the master and server to be
synchronized. Can someone tell me why this is and what the consequences are
if they are out of synch? Also, to what level of granularity must they be in
Synch? In my experience the time keeping function on PCs is pretty
miserable. I would not want to have to trust the security of my data to such
innacurate clocks.

Thanks,
Darrell