Ian Burrell ianburrell
Tue May 10 23:12:37 PDT 2005
On 5/9/05, cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info <cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info> wrote:
> Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim at gunduz.org> wrote:
> > Look:
> >
> > [root at buildfarm SPECS]# rpm -ivh
> > /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/slony1-1.1.0-beta3.i686.rpm
> > error: Failed dependencies:
> >          /etc/slon_tools.conf is needed by slony1-1.1.0-beta3.i686
> >
> > Got it?
>
> Something is broken there.  That file should not be a dependancy for
> anything.  It's not needed at install time.  At install time, that file
> doesn't exist.

The problem is the automatic dependency finder for Perl modules.  It
takes the line (after replacement) in tools/altperl/slon_watchdog2.pl:

require '/etc/slon_tools.conf';

and adds /etc/slon_tools.conf as a requirement for the package.  But
since the file isn't included, rpm gives a dependency error.  If this
script is changed to be like the others, then the dependency finder
should be happy.  The other way is to filter the dependencies or
disable finding dependencies.

> When you build Slony-I from source, it shows the above message.  It tells
> you that it has put in a sample, /etc/slon.conf-sample, and that the user
> will have to modify that to get /etc/slon.conf
>
> The same is true for someone using RPM, apt-get, or BSD Ports.  There's a
> sample worth looking at, but that should NOT be linked to as any sort of
> "default configuration."

The RPM packaging guidelines suggest that packages don't print
messages while being installed.

Another way to solve this problem is have a slon_tools.conf-sample
which could be copied to a non-working /etc/slon_tools.conf.  It would
need to be edited but wouldn't contain a sample cluster configuration.
 This could be accomplished by commenting out the add_node and table
definitions.

 - Ian