Devrim GUNDUZ devrim
Tue May 10 00:55:36 PDT 2005

Hi,

On Mon, 9 May 2005, Christopher Browne wrote:

>> Ok, I have a new patch that seems to fix all our problems:
>>
>> http://postgresql.gunduz.org/slony/patches/slony-rpm.patch
>>
>> This patch:
>>
>> 1. Modifies the spec.in file for rpm builds.
>> 2. Changes slon_tools.conf to slon_tools.conf-sample in tools/altperl/ .
>> slon_tools.conf is a non-existent file and breaks RPM dependencies.
>>
>> On Red Hat EL ES 4 both make and make rpm worked.
>>
>> Could you please review and apply it?
>
> I have one issue with it, namely the proposed changes to various Perl
> scripts thus:
>
> replacing...
> ! $CONFIG_FILE = '@@SYSCONFDIR@@/slon_tools.conf';
>
> with...
> ! $CONFIG_FILE = '@@SYSCONFDIR@@/slon_tools.conf-sample';
>
> I don't think we should change all the scripts to automatically refer
> what is very clearly a sample file.
>
> The sample is just that, a sample that should get edited and renamed to
> slon_tools.conf before scripts try to use it.

If you want make rpm to work, then you need to apply this patch.

To say the truth, I really don't care whether make rpm is broken or not.
The RPMs I build and provide will have no such problems.

Hey, there is no slon_tools.conf in the sources and this make our life
harder.

Look:

[root at buildfarm SPECS]# rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686/slony1-1.1.0-beta3.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         /etc/slon_tools.conf is needed by slony1-1.1.0-beta3.i686

Got it?

> Personally, I don't think that the default filename should be changed.
> The scripts will indeed break when they discover they haven't a config
> file.  That strikes me as being consistent with the installation output:
>
>  echo "Slony1 has been successfully installed. Before running Slony1,"
>  echo "be sure to edit /etc/slon.conf-sample and rename it to"
>  echo "/etc/slon.conf"
>
> If you don't "be sure to edit" the file, then everything breaks.

sorry, could not understand it. If you mean that it needs rewording, I'm
ok with that.

<offlist>
I'm still working on a prelimininary version of some scripts that allows
PostgreSQL and Slony RPMs to be configured even after installation, like
dpkg-reconfigure. This 3 "echos" is the initial steps for that, not more.
</offlist>

Regards,
- --
Devrim GUNDUZ