Victoria Parsons victoria.parsons
Wed Jun 29 12:16:39 PDT 2005
Hi,

I am replicating a database out and the slaves need to keep logs of changes to some tables. Before replication, I had a tablename_changelog. Whenever the table <tablename> gets data inserted/updated/deleted it followed a rule to write the old and new data to the changelog. There is a rule on the change log that sends out a notify when it is written to.

Now that I am replicating the main table data down, I only want to keep these changelog tables on each slave, not on master. The problem I have is that when slony sets itself up in my database it removes (or hides) the rules on <tablename> that write my changes into the changelog table. These rules won't adversly affect my replication as they don't ever write into the replicated table, only read from. I can add them back in after replication is setup, but then I hit difficulties trying to anything else with slonik commands, like uninstall table or node, as these rules "shouldn't" be there. I'm assuming this will break any change of master scripts aswell.

Is there anything clever I can do other than setup replication, create rules on slaves, remove the extra rules on slaves before uniinistalling/changing master node, then recreate rules afterwards.

Cheers,
Vicki

Victoria Parsons
Research & Development

StreamShield Networks

Tel	0870 114 9465
Fax	0870 114 9467

This message should be regarded as confidential. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and destroy it immediately.
Statements of intent shall only become binding when confirmed in hard copy by an authorized signatory.

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and potentially
harmful content by StreamShield Protector.