Jan Wieck JanWieck
Sat Jun 25 15:56:52 PDT 2005
On 6/24/2005 12:13 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

> Victoria Parsons wrote:
>
>>Thanks for that info. Another question:
>>
>>If lots of database changes happen in "very quick" succession on the origin node, so that they are all replicated during the same SYNC, are they guaranteed to be replicated out in the true order they happened?
>>

> Yes, they surely are.
>
> There is an "actionseq" column on sl_log_1 which is used to indicate the
> order in which changes are applied.

There could be race conditions where the after trigger doing the
replication log collection is effectively fired in a different order
than the row updates really happened with respect to concurrent
transactions. But since concurrent transactions would block each other
in the case of conflicting updates, the resulting replication action
order is guaranteed to be in an agreeable order that leads to the same
end result. And since all changes of one SYNC are applied in one
transaction, nobody can see intermediate states, so nobody can actually
tell that things got applied in a slightly different order.

Jan