Jacob Smullyan smulloni
Thu Jun 23 05:42:10 PDT 2005
On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 04:15:00PM -0400, Jacob Smullyan wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 02:46:19PM -0400, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Nothing leaps out to me from the script, but as you say, it's pretty
> > lengthy, so there's "a lot of there" there (to say it in the Clintonian
> > way :-)).
> >
> > What I'd suggest first is that you seek to solve the "because the error
> > message, ddl file, and schema are lengthy" problem.

As I should have done at first, I've prepared a simple test case which
shows my execute script failure with all the irrelevant cruft removed:

  http://www.smullyan.org/smulloni/executescript2.tar.gz

The test creates a table with 1 column, and a (vacuous) view which
just does a select from the table.  The script passed to execute
script drops the view, alters the table, and recreates the view,
referencing the new column.  The create view statement fails (claiming
the column does not exist).

I also include an alter table alter column statement affecting the new
column before the create view statement; interestingly, this succeeds
(that is, if you comment out the create view).  I'm curious why this
is.

I can successfully run the script in two passes -- one that drops the
view and alters the table, and another than recreates the view.  Of
course, this commits the db before the view that is dropped is
recreated, which isn't too happy a solution; not only because of the
implied downtime, but because complex ddl would have to be reordered
and divided up (according to not particularly obvious criteria) into
slony-digestible portions, which would be a PITR (which in this case
means: Pain In The Rump).

I hope, therefore, that you'll classify this as a bug and not as a
feature or fact of life!

Cheers,

js

--