31337 .. 313375
Tue Jun 21 22:18:44 PDT 2005
Ok, I'd first like to thank all of you for your input, you have been
of great help so far. We have discussed the linux-HA project as a
solution, but they started complaining about a whole server just
sitting there doing nothing until a failure. I see many people talking
of network connections failing. Once we start getting more users, this
will all be redundant. The power supplies are redundant (triple setup)
harddrives are redundant, redundant UPS's, etc. etc..
As for clients, there will be a total of 2 other local servers
accessing the database, and the clients log into those terminal
servers. So, all the database stuff is local. They requested of me for
this to be pretty much completely automated, as I am only here for
another week or so. I have started telling them, that with the network
monitoring, we will be able to notify someone of a failure, but only a
human will be able to make the final decision of failover. I may
implement something to do a switchover if the load is a set value for
a set time or something along those lines. I am confirming now with my
thoughts, that this automatic failover is going to be a HUGE task, and
have started to tell them that it is not a good idea. We (or I rather)
could just miss too many things.

I was just wondering what you other guys were doing for failover setups.

Thanks a TON for the input!!
~Tyler