Hannu Krosing hannu
Thu Jul 7 12:29:23 PDT 2005
The following is aa warning to anyone attempting to add a node to slony
cluster

This happened on Slony 1.0.5

I have a cluster replicating several sets, and yesterday I tried to add
yet another node to it and to subscribe the new node to get set5 from
"node3" which was subscribing to the master node "node1".

I noticed that node3 was subscribing with forward=no, so I made a small
slonik script to set subscription to forward=yes. unfortunately I made a
small typo (or maybe a thinko) and also wrote the set id (5) as
provider, so that instead of subscribing to node1, node3 was now
subscribing to node5, which did not even have any of the tables in set5.

Later, when I noticed muy mistake, I was also change tha provider back
to node1, but I'm now missing the changes that had happened in between.

Is there any reason, why slony allows me to silently change also the
provider of a set subscription to a node that is neither master nor a
subscriber of that set ?

Or is this just a bug ?

Maybe it is even fixed in slony 1.1 ?

--