David Fetter david
Wed Jan 26 18:24:57 PST 2005
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 09:54:59AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Chris, Steve, Darcy,
>
> > databases; they are consciously loosely coupled so that they can
> > "play well" in environments where you get Perl provided but where
> > you _can't_ add extra CPAN modules. ?In particular, I am thinking
> > of the UNIX(tm) systems: AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, and such. ?We're
> > running AIX and Solaris in hosted environments where we don't get
> > to install extensions, and Pg/DBI would be examples of extensions.
>
> Interesting.  I was about to suggest building altperl as a CPAN
> module, in fact.  Now I can see how that might not be desirable.
>
> I can see the desire, eventually, for 2 sets of tools: 1 in altperl
> which is loosely coupled with no dependancies other than slony,

Why would this be in altperl?

> and one as a CPAN module that makes use of DBI, Introspector, ps and
> other modules.

Maybe this could be called Slony::Koolaid ;)

> For the cluster information file, I'd suggest some simple,
> human-readable, XML.

XML tools are neither light nor trivial, although they have the the
advantage of wide availability.

> We don't want to get into the trap of needing additional tools just
> to eyeball the configuration file.

Indeed.

> The structure of a cluster suits itself well to the nesting inherent
> in XML.   The drawback to this idea, of course, is the requirement
> for at least one XML module for Perl.

Worse things have happened.

Cheers,
David Fetter david at fetter.org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!