Alan Hodgson ahodgson
Sat Feb 12 23:16:25 PST 2005
On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 06:07:32PM -0500, cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info wrote:
> I would further "buy" that when doing "COPY_SET/ENABLE_SUBSCRIPTION", all
> of the objects should be checked and locked up front _before_ copying in
> data.  We have had cases where tables were cleaned out of place that
> should have been there, with the result that subscriptions got 3h in and
> THEN failed.
>
> We have also had cases where COPY_SET failed because vacuum scripts were
> running and a "deadlock-capable" series of vacuums backed up alongside
> COPY_SET.  Locking _everything_ would make that either succeed very
> quickly or fail very quickly.
>
> Mind you, it's not exactly a tiny change.

I'd like the option of having it drop ALL the indexes on the target tables
and rebuild them after the COPY as well.  The initial copy is such a pig
with even just the primary key in place.

--
"God grants liberty only to those who love it and are always ready to guard
and defend it." -- Daniel Webster