Vivek Khera vivek
Tue Feb 8 18:25:42 PST 2005
On Feb 8, 2005, at 12:55 PM, Christopher Browne wrote:

>> Performance is again excellent, if not better than before.  Perhaps a
>> vacuum full of the slony tables after the initial copy is a good
>> idea?
>>

> VACUUM FULL of the tables where???  On the origin?  Or on the
> subscriber?

The subscriber.  The origin seems to pretty much be under control.  I
ran vacuum full on the sl_log_1 there too, but there weren't many rows
to reclaim.  basically it wasn't worth it :-)

> I'd be comfortable enough doing it on a subscriber that is still
> catching up and therefore isn't being used for production purposes...
>
> If you'd been running generate_syncs.sh, it would have come up to date
> in a much "friendlier" fashion, and not needed the vacuum nearly so
> badly.  It probably would have been able to do enough cleanup while
> getting up to date that the FSM wouldn't have been blown out...

Yes, had the sync's been generated it would not have been such an
issue.  The table bloat did kill my performance for several days,
unfortunately.

Does generate_syncs work with 1.0.5?  I remember something about it
being for -HEAD.