Andrew Sullivan ajs
Thu Aug 11 18:14:48 PDT 2005
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 12:00:49PM -0500, David Durham wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > Because Slony-I replicates by table, rather than by database, you can
> > do this _only if_ you have some intelligence in your application.
>

> I don't understand this.  What kind of intelligence, conflict resolution?

Well, that; but really, what you can do is something like this.
Suppose you have two offices, say CAnada and United States.  And you
want to write into a table, activity.

You set up two tables, then, activity_ca and activity_us.  The Canada
office database replicates activity_ca to the US office, and the US
office database replicates activity_us to the Canada office.  And
"activity" is actually a view which is a UNION of the two.

You could, I'll bet, do this with rules on the view to make it
updateable, too; you'd need different rules in each database.

Your problem will be if the Canada office wants to make updates to
the US office table; you'll get a Slony error then.

> Another question, that I haven't been able to find an answer for is
> whether or not Slony-I replication supports LargeObjects.

Nope.  Use bytea, which will work.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
		--Alexander Hamilton