Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Aug 8 20:25:26 PDT 2005
Andrew Gold <agold at cbamedia.com> writes:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having connection problems when I try to run slon on my master
> database. The master was configured with the following connection lines:
>
>         node 1 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$MASTERDBNAME host=$MASTERHOST
> port=$MASTERPORT user=$MASTERDBA password=mypass';
>         node 2 admin conninfo = 'dbname=$SLAVEDBNAME host=$SLAVEHOST
> port=$SLAVEPORT user=$SLAVEDBA password=mypass';
>
> I invoke slon with the following confg value:
>     conn_info='dbname=$MASTERDBNAME user=$MASTERDBA password=mypass
> host=$MASTERHOST port=$MASTERPORT'
>
> I read in my slon logs:
>
> 2005-08-05 14:19:27 EDT WARN   remoteListenThread_2: DB connection
> failed - sleep 10 seconds
> 2005-08-05 14:19:29 EDT DEBUG2 syncThread: new sl_action_seq 1 - SYNC 42
> 2005-08-05 14:19:29 EDT DEBUG2 localListenThread: Received event 1,42 SYNC
> 2005-08-05 14:19:37 EDT ERROR  slon_connectdb:
> PQconnectdb("dbname=$SLAVEDBNAME host=$SLAVEHOST port=$SLAVEPORT
> user=$SLAVEDBA ") failed - fe_sendauth: no password supplied
>
> It appears that I'm failing to submit a password, but that seems totally
> contrary to my configuration values.
> I'm sure that I'm missing something simple here; any suggestions are
> greatly welcome.

The problem is likely with the authentication for paths (stored in
table sl_path in the Slony-I schema).

The "admin conninfo" DSNs are quite distinct from the DSNs configured
using STORE PATH...

In any case, the "Best Practice" is to store passwords in
$HOME/.pgpass, as this means you're not left with storing the password
in raw text form in DSNs that are assortedly findable:
 a) As part of process environment or
 b) In the table sl_path
--
"cbbrowne","@","ca.afilias.info"