Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Wed Sep 22 23:10:57 PDT 2004
"Ed L." <pgsql at bluepolka.net> writes:
> I see that sl_log_1 "stores each change to be propagated to
> subscriber nodes."  Can anyone explain the purpose of sl_log_1
> vs. sl_log_2?  Looking at the source, it appears the same data is
> inserted into both.

Eventually the plan is for the triggers to insert data into either or
the other, which means that we're "free" do maintenance on the table
not presently in use.

Thus, if we're adding new entries into sl_log_2, then it's OK for a
work process to, at some point, TRUNCATE sl_log_1, which is way
cheaper than doing a DELETE on the entries in the table.  That would
also likely eliminate the need to vacuum the tables, which is probably
also a win...

Much care must be taken when doing so; this strategy was taken with
eRServer, and occasionally lead to some (ahem) "unfortunate
deadlocks."
--
output = reverse("ofni.sailifa.ac" "@" "enworbbc")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>