cbbrowne at ca.afilias.info cbbrowne
Tue Sep 14 02:41:51 PDT 2004
> ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type timestamp: "Mon Aug 15
> 15:05:17.023748 2005 PKST"
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "enablenode_int" line 32 at SQL statement
>

> Any help will be highly appreciated!

The problem here is that PostgreSQL isn't recognizing "PKST" as a
legitimate time zone.

We can demonstrate this without Slony-I being involved thus:

tutorial=# select '2004-09-01 15:05:17.023748 2005 PKST'::timestamptz;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type timestamp with time zone:
"2004-09-01 15:05:17.023748 2005 PKST"
tutorial=#

I'm guessing that stands for "Pakistan Standard Time;" that is evidently
not a timezone that PostgreSQL is aware of.

Supposing you set TZ=UTC in the environment in which you're running your
Slony-I processes, the confusion will go away.

Using UTC as the timezone is a HIGHLY convenient convention; that's what
we do in all of our production environments.  It makes daylight savings
time an irrelevancy, for instance.

The alternative is to file a bug on PostgreSQL indicating the missing
timezone.  I'd be surprised to see that added any earlier than 8.0, if
then.

I'd like to see CUT and CUT0 added to 8.0, as AIX likes to use that in
lieu of UTC/GMT.