Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Mon Sep 6 16:43:06 PDT 2004
Frank Knobbe said:
> That said, administration is still a pain as the project is still young.
> However, I found a short-cut (though perhaps not sanctioned by the Slony
> developers :)  -- PGAdmin !
>
> Yup, that's right. Run the PGAdmin GUI and browse through the Slony
> schema. After staring at it for a while it started to make sense to me.
> Using the PGAdmin GUI you can easily remove tables and sequences from a
> set, or even add new ones. That change has to occur on the master
> obviously.
>
> While perhaps not the safest way to muck with Slony, it does allow for
> an easy way of fine tuning and tweaking (table-wise) that may otherwise
> (using scripts) be challenging.
>
> Perhaps one of these days we will have Slony options built into PGAdmin.
> That's a dream I hope will come true... :)

Well, that'll happen as _new_ volunteers pop up to either:

a) Explain how to do it using PGAdmin as things stand now, or

b) Develop extensions to PGAdmin to that end.

I won't be doing it, because I'm busy enough with other stuff, and am not
particularly a fan of PGAdmin.  It happens not to be useful in our
production environment.

That doesn't mean that I'll make fun of attempts to build such extensions.

And as for safety, I was recently chagrined by having a script that made
it way too easy for me to drop a replication set.  That one is pointing to
making some script changes that might make some of them fairly much "less
friendly" :-(.

In any case, things won't get created unless people volunteer to do them.
In some cases, there are things some of us won't be volunteering for.

If you wrote a tutorial on how you used PGAdmin to manage your Slony-I
clusters, that would surely be of interest.  Indeed, there's plenty of
room for those who can write to produce "tutorial" material on how to set
clusters.  Writing this up would be a Good Thing.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sailifa@" "enworbbc"))
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.info/>