Christopher Browne cbbrowne
Tue Oct 19 16:46:57 PDT 2004
RK <hiding at freemail.hu> writes:
> I'm trying to compile slony on cygwin, but several modules fail
> (slon and slonik and maybe others)

> Is there any chance to target this platform?  What can I do to help
> these efforts? (However I'm not a C programmer, I can run tests,
> etc...)

It should be little trouble to run the slon daemons on the Linux box,
where they should work perfectly fine, and be able to connect to the
Windows box.  Likewise, running slonik on the Linux box should work
out fine.  It's just an application that talks to databases.  That
strategy may provide enough for your purposes.

The notable problem with running slon/slonik on Windows is the
availability of pthreads; if some intrepid volunteer came along to
test that out, with some pthreads port, that might allow more
components of Slony-I to run on Windows.

For that to happen would pretty forcibly require that an "intrepid
volunteer" who speaks both C and Windows emerge; I am not aware that
any of the existing developers have the appropriate Windows
involvements.  Personally, any time I see a Windows system, my first
reaction is to want to arrange to have it re-OSed to run something
"useful."  :-)
--
"cbbrowne","@","ca.afilias.info"
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>