Jan Wieck JanWieck
Wed May 19 13:22:57 PDT 2004
Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just tried running the "slony_sample1_setup.sh" script, but it's giving
> errors.  Using FreeBSD 4.10-PRERELEASE and PostgreSQL 7.4.2.
>
> Have done some initial investigation, but haven't quite been able to get
> it working yet.
>
> As the first step I modified the constants in the
> "slony1_sample1.setup.sh" file with the values of the development
> servers here:
>
> CLUSTER=test1
> DBNAME1=pgbench
> DBNAME2=pgbench
> HOST1=xena
> HOST2=tmp4
> SLONY_USER=pgsql
> PGBENCH_USER=justin
>
> Then created the pgbench schema on both the master database server
> (xena) and the slave database server (tmp4) using using Jan's exact
> instruction on the page.  I think that in theory things should be ready
> at this stage to setup the replication.
>
> Running the "slony_sample1_setup.sh" script at this stage then produced
> errors to the console (verbosity is "debug1" level for many things in
> the PostgreSQL config file):
>
> ***********
>
> bash-2.05b$ ./slony_sample1_setup.sh
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: begin transaction;
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: select version();
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: rollback transaction;
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: begin transaction;
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: select 1 from "pg_catalog".pg_namespace N
> where N.nspname = '_test1';
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: create schema "_test1";
> <stdin>:20: loading of file /usr/local/share/postgresql/xxid.v74.sql:
> PGRES_FATAL_ERROR ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
> ignored until end of transaction block
> ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of
> transaction block
> <stdin>:20: LOG:  statement: rollback transaction;
> bash-2.05b$
>
> ***********
>
> Checked for the existence of the xxid.v74.sql file at the location in
> the error message, and it's definitely there and readable.

the .sql files are required on the system where the slonik command is
executed. It would throw another error message if that wouldn't be there.

On both DB servers, there must be the loadable modules xxid.so and
slony1_funcs.so installed into whatever the postmaster thinks $libdir is
(the same location where you find plpgsql.so).

> Checking the syslog output shows these PostgreSQL error messages
> generated by the running of the slony_sample1_setup.sh script:

What I fail to see is the actual error message that aborts the
transaction. Seems the log output was a bit too much for your syslog to
swallow. Can you run the postmaster in the foreground and pipe
stdout+stderr through tee(1) or something like that?

> ***********
>
> In the last CREATE OPERATOR statement, for the "<=" operatot, it looks
> like there's supposed to be something after the "NEGATOR = >," bit and
> before the closing bracket.  Not sure if that's what was really executed
> or if it's just the way the logging is showing.

Thats why I think there are output lines swallowed by syslog. There is
definitely one more line in the script.

> Sorry for the lengthy email, but I felt it best to include everything
> just in case.  If someone wants me to re-run this with different
> options, different PostgreSQL configuration, different verbosity, or
> whatever, just let me know.

That's fine.

Jan