Jan Wieck JanWieck
Thu Mar 4 00:10:33 PST 2004
Welcome again everyone,

with the now (although still limited) capabilities of the replication
engine, I already outran the functionality of the ducttape slony1_* bash
scripts. And the worst news is that I today failed on the attempt to get
replication between a 7.3 and a 7.4 database running because pg_dump-7.3
cannot dump a single table of a non-default namespace ...

I am not into wasting time with the ducttape stuff, the whole directory
has to go anyway. So what I want to get started is the discussion about
administrative tools.

What I envision so far would be a lex+yacc+libpq based commandline tool
on one hand. And a nice GUI tool on the other. The whole replication
configuration (nodes, communication paths, table sets and even the
failover actions) would be designed and planned in the interactive GUI
tool. This then would a) setup the nodes and/or b) generate the
commandline tool scripts to be executed for setup and possible actions.

Comments? Suggestions?

Jan