Andrew Sullivan ajs
Fri Jul 30 21:44:20 PDT 2004
On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 02:59:03PM -0400, David Parker wrote:
> The use-case is that I have servers A,B,C generating session data, and I
> want this all replicated to a central location. So I was thinking that I
> could replicate A:public.session to Central:a.session, B:public.session
> to Central:b.session, etc, then use a view across those guys on Central
> to do whatever Central-based applications need to do with the
> conglomerated session data. Hence my question about being able to
> swizzle the namespace.

Do it the other way: make the views on A,B, and C, and set up the
rules so that the data _actually_ goes into special tables with a
server field.  Then your centralising station also gets to know the
source.  That is, a.session is actually a view on a.session_real, and
a.session_real has everything in session, plus a field (call it
sourcehost or something) with a default value of a.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
		--J.D. Baldwin