david at codepoets.co.uk david
Tue Aug 17 13:54:57 PDT 2004
Hi,

I've not had a chance to look in detail at the slony replication software,
however I was hoping someone could answer the following :

One master postgresql database, which client postgresql's sync with. This
essentially gives you one central repository, and allowing clients to work
offline if needs be.

The client postgresql's may not be online all the time, so some sort of manual
sync would need to be initiated.

Some questions :

1) Is it possible to sync on demand (therefore allowing the clients to be
disconnected from the network for extended periods of time?)
2) Can the clients/slaves be updated? Or is it strictly read only access from
the slave?
3) Is it two way replication?
4) Would it be possible to sync a portion of the database (e.g. all records
belonging to a client) ?
5) Is there a limit to the number of clients? (Probably talking in the region of
500-1000 clients)

I'm looking for a solution which would allow users to work offline, and update
when dialed up online. Hence the idea of running postgres locally, and syncing
with a remote central server when it's availble.

Thanks in advance,

David.